8.06.2011

Happy Working Song

This is how I start out in the morning...
 But THIS is how I end up...an angry Cinderella
("you want me to clean WHAT?!", "If it's not in the laundry room, it's not getting washed!", "Kids, come back to the table and clear your places...Kids...kiiiids....Kids!") 

Ok, seriously, it's not this dramatic, but you get the picture. What happened to the calm, in control, good-spirited, willing, helpful, servant that woke up in the morning with a cheerful attitude and to-do list? Maybe we put TOO much on our to-do list. Maybe we aren't that good at time management or multi-tasking. Maybe we are just too anxious to complete EVERY task and get easily overwhelmed. Regardless, I tell Matt all the time that "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" (Matthew 26:41). There are so many days that I wish my husband could come home to a spotless house, with an amazing dinner on the table, clean faces, some nice Tomlin playing in the background, orderly children...but most of the time he steps over kid shoes at the door, has to wait 45-minutes until dinner is ready, sees children that look like they've rolled in the mud yet want to hug you just the same, and I wonder if he's immediately stressed out when he walks through the door. I know he's appreciate that we're just home with him. But, still, I have standards for the "type of wife" I want to be, so it's easy to become overwhelmed and disappointed in yourself at the end of another typical day.


I'm not really sure what my point is other than to encourage myself (and you) to start fresh each day. After our, God's mercies start afresh each morning (Lamentations 3:23). So, why shouldn't ours? Start with mercy on yourself. Set a few small goals that you can complete. Or, instead of doing it like I do and cramming it all into one day's worth of work, spread it out over the week. I think I'll try that this week coming up. Who's with me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a local Charlestonian, born and raised in good 'ol South Carolina. I have only been to other surrounding states within a days drive since I refuse to fly in an airplane - so let's see - that includes NC, GA, FL, and I think I may have crossed the border into VA at some point. I've been to the Bahamas 3 times (since you can get there by cruise ship) but one day I hope to visit Mexico. After my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the second love of my life is my high school sweetheart, Matt. We were married at ages 19 and 21 (I'm the younger one) and in the past 8 years have acquired two amazing kids - Sammy and Maddie. We have a fairly new member of the family, Casey, who is a black lab/shepherd/pit bull mix and is very lazy. We "McCall's" have a family motto: "McCall's never give up" (for some reason this has stuck with us all). We all have a passion for music and treasure our family time. Every moment is a gift...

Followers